Southwold Electric Picture Palaces
Starting with the origins of the Southwold Electric Picture Palace
in York Road in 1912, the book traces the fortunes
of this cinema until its closure in1963.
Technical equipment, other uses the hall was put to, expansion,
the coming of sound, wartime, and events leading up
to closure in 1963 are all recorded.
The book also looks at the Gaumont Chrono film projector first used in the cinema, and its final resting place on display in Southwold Museum.
John Bennett tells of the present Electric Picture Palace in
Blackmill Road, Southwold opened by Michael Palin in 2002.
The 37 pages are illustrated with 35 black and white pictures
plus four pictures in colour on the covers.
top of page
bottom of page